The Philosophical Society of Texas for selecting Mourner’s Bench: A Novel written by Sanderia Faye for the 2015 Award of Merit for fiction.
When Faye looks back at her transitions from accountant to writer to literary advocate, she smiles.
“Sanderia Faye’s Mourner’s Bench is a story that is entirely aware of its place in the grander scheme of things—it is not written with the intention of controversy or to progressively educate to the reader. It is, simply put, a voice of reason in a time severely lacking it. It’s a voice of hope.”
• Winner of the Hurston/Wright Legacy Award for Debut Fiction
• More than five years of experience teaching composition, creative writing and literature courses
• Nationally recognized author with a University press published novel
• Experienced curriculum designer and instructor for community-based creative writing courses
• Adept at bridging higher education with writer’s communities, programs and initiatives
• More than 15 years of leadership experience in the corporate arena building executive level networks, increasing sales and employee productivity and launching successful marketing campaigns
• Successful record of designing and producing events that improve awareness, build strong community relations and make a real difference to the lives of others institution
• Passionate about education and tenacious in the pursuit of goals